This super tasty cake is a great birthday cake and sure to make your hunger buds want more and more. It is an ideal cake for a party and it keeps okay!
Serves: 10 – 15 people ( depending on the size of the portions)
Prep Time: 40 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 – 25 minutes
- 20cm diameter cake tin, greased and then lined with grease proof paper x 3
- Baking tray
- Teaspoon x 2
- Electric Mixer
- Wire Rack
- Mixing Bowl x 3
- Cocktail stick
- Plate to serve
- 160g unsalted butter
- 345g soft light brown sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 90g dark chocolate, melted
- 230g plain flour
- 1 tsp bicarbonate soda
- 200g soured cream
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp instant coffee mixed with 2 cups of boiling water
For The Decorations:
- 30g milk chocolate, melted
- 30g white chocolate, melted
For The Frosting:
- 400g icing sugar, sifted
- 150g unsalted butter, softened
- 50g cocoa powder
- Preheat the oven to 170°c, 325°f, gas mark 3 and cream the butter and sugar together.
- Once the mixture is light and fluffy, add the eggs and stir until just combined and using the spatula, scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- With the mixer on a slow speed, pour the melted chocolate into the butter mixture.
- Mix the flour and bicarbonate of soda together in another bowl and in the jug, mix together the coffee, soured cream and vanilla extract.
- Slowly, take it in turns to add a bit of the dry ingredients to the butter mixture and the wet ingredients to the butter mixture and carry on doing that until everything is mixed well into the butter mixture.
- Scrape down the sides of the bowl and divide the batter into thirds – a third in each cake tin.
- Bake for 20 – 30 minutes or when the top of the cake come back springy when touched.
- Whilst the cake is cooking, you will make the chocolate decorations.
- Put 1/2 a teaspoon of melted white chocolate onto a sheet of grease proof paper and using the back of a teaspoon spread it round so that it has a diameter of 2 and 1/2 cm.
- Dribble lines of milk chocolate on top and using the cocktail stick drag it through the chocolate the opposite way to the lines like this –
- Once you have used all the chocolate, put them in the freezer and chill until decoration time.
- When the cakes are done, leave them to cool inside the tins for 15 minutes then turn them out onto the wire rack to cool.
- To make the icing, mix all the ingredients together until it is lump-free and spread evenly across all layers.
- When you have iced the top of the cake, add the chocolate decorations how ever you like and put it on the plate and enjoy!!
I hope you have liked this blog, like, follow and comment for more!!
p.s. Check my quote out ↓